- Card series: Beginnings: 1880's
- City: St. Louis
- Team: Browns (AA)
- League: American Association
William Benjamin Fuller (1867-1904) played shortstop for the Washington Statesmen (Senators), St Louis Browns and NY Giants from 1888-1896. For one day in 1891, Shorty‘s brother Harry joined him with the Browns for his only MLB game. Blessed with a keen eye at the plate, Shorty struck out only 198 times while receiving 444 bases on balls.
- Fuller’s knack for walks boosted his anemic career BA of .235 to an OBP of .322
- Stint with the Browns included their final year in the AA (’91) and 1st in the NL (’92)
- Washington sold Shorty to the Browns after the ’88 season for $800