- Card series: Pioneer Portraits I: 1850-1874
- City: Lansingburgh
- Team: Union of Lansingburgh
- League: National Association (NABBP)
Michael James McAtee (1845-1876) played 2 yrs in the Nat’l Assoc for the Chicago White Stockings (1871) and his home town Troy Haymakers (1872). He was a good fielding first baseman with an overall batting average of .249. Played SS for the amateur Haymakers when they surprised the mighty Mutuals in 1866.
- The Great Fire in 1871 destroyed the White Stockings stadium, ending play for 2 years
- McAtee died at age 31, attended by 4 surviving teammates of the 1866 triumph
- His Tribune obituary said: “As a ball-tosser he was reliable, always striving his best to win; as a boy he was generous to a fault, respected by all who knew him”