- Card series: Pioneer Portraits II: 1875-1899
- League: National League
- Hall: National Baseball Hall of Fame
Morgan Gardner Bulkeley (1837-1922) was an icon of Connecticut business and politics over a long and distinguished life. This Civil War vet, 4-time mayor of Hartford, 2-term Gov. of CT, U.S. Senator and CEO of Aetna for 35 years is also in Baseball’s Hall of Fame. He served 1 yr as Pres. of the new NL in 1876.
- Bulkeley earned a place in baseball lore as the figurehead for the new league’s war on out-of-control players
- NL officials cracked down on gambling, drinking and fan rowdiness at a critical juncture for the game
- Elected to Hall of Fame: 1937