- Card series: Beginnings: 1880's
- City: Philadelphia
- Team: Athletics (AA)
- League: American Association
Curtis Benton Welch (1862-1896). Primarily a center fielder for 10 professional seasons, Welch was a fast runner with great instincts. His “$15,000 slide” into home clinched the 1886 World Series for the St. Louis Browns. It has been called the most famous play of the 19th century.
- Top 10 in steals 6 years in a row
- Currently ranks 51st all-time in steals (453)
- Alleged to have hidden beer behind billboards so he could drink during games