- Card series: Pioneer Portraits I: 1850-1874
- City: Lansingburgh
- Team: Union of Lansingburgh
- League: National Association (NABBP)
William Craver (1844-1901): disabled Civil War vet, policeman, and manager of his teams while still in his early 20s. Hardly the resume for a crook, yet in ’77 Craver was ousted from the NL in perhaps the biggest gambling scandal to rock the game in an already freebooting era.
- His case was hurt by an earlier expulsion for gambling in ‘71
- Always a strong hitter, had a .291 career batting average for 7 teams
- Craver’s Louisville Grays tanked in his fateful season including an 8 game losing streak